Tuesday, December 19, 2006

When Did You Know It Was A Hoax?

The first time I heard Kim's 911 call.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

When Joe C. stated that the defense and the boys were eagerly awaiting the DNA results (around 4/2?) and that they want to hold Nifong to his promise that these will exonerate the non-guilty parties. When they didn't put up the Kobe Defense, I knew it was a Hoax.

11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same. When I heard Kim's 911 call. Didn't add up. Duke college students standing by the Duke wall ramdomly screaming the N-word at passersby. Puleeze. Only in the fervid imaginations of race baiters.


11:48 AM  
Anonymous kbp said...

I'm sure you recall Mystery & Srh? at CTV. They initiated discussion of the pre-arranged camera crews ready and waiting to catch all the players as they went in to submit swabs and be photo'd, which was a big clue.

The first DNA tests results knocked me off the fence for good.

Absolutely everything since then has just added to that position.

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As soon as I heard that the lax players were stating that absolutely no sex happened in that house that night, I knew. In this day and age of DNA you can't go out on that limb after you've been swabbed for DNA unless you are telling the truth. I knew they were innocent.


12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got a call from a team mom March 23 or so, hysterical at the court ordered DNA testing. Since I knew several boys on the team, of course I knew their stories were correct -- they all said the exact same thing, all the details "cohered". (They were grossed out -- nobody touched her ever -- show over in under 5 min.) I remember saying, "Don't worry -- this will blow over -- no one is going to believe something so crazy -- the media is not going to touch it -- get some rest". Guess I called that one wrong.

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew there was something that didn't add up the moment I learned of the case. I don't watch a lot of TV and it didn't make the papers much where I am.

Someone posted a message about it on one of the Rivals college football boards that I look at and mentioned approvingly that the two games were forfeited and that the Duke Admin was doing the right thing to do that.

Further discussion in that thread talked about the campus feminists marching in protest and there was all this furor over the use of racial epithets during the attack -- which seemed to be a big part of what got folks up in arms.

Something just didn't smell quite right. What would cause people to feel the need to protest a rape ... if there really was one? I recalled a line from Shakespeare: "They doth protest too much, methinks."

And the racial component seemed out of place. It seemed like a trivial element compared to this violent attack that was alleged, yet it was the comparatively trivial name-calling that really got folks riled up. It was like, nevermind the gang rape, these SOBs called her the N-word.

So at first, my BS detector started to register some doubt. And shortly after I learned of the case, the McFayden e-mail was disclosed and all heck was breaking loose in Durham. But still I was skeptical even though I was about the only voice on this message board saying, wait, maybe they're not guilty. Maybe the DA thinks cooperation is synonymous with confession.

Oh no, they all said, those Duke boys think they can just walk all over people, and their teammates are covering for them. But we all know what happened next. Every new piece of information since about the beginning of April has tended to reveal this case for the fraud that it is.

The potbangers protest: that's when I first knew it was a hoax.


1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As soon as I heard about the size of the daddy's bank accounts, I suspected that had something to do with it.

When the DNA returned negative, that cinched it.

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first time I saw it on TV. I said that is a crock to steal a famous line.


1:33 PM  
Anonymous NotGuilty said...

From day 1!! Those boys would not have touched that nasty slut even if their life depended on it.

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When the attorneys continually stated that no sex had occurred. No attorney worth his salt would ever state that on behalf of his client if there was even a 1% chance of DNA, photographic, or eyewitness proof that sex had actually occurred. As soon as they ignored the "consensual" defense, i knew that nothing had happened.

1:56 PM  
Anonymous emmy said...

I too was skeptical from the start...they said, NO sex, and that really spoke volumes to me...then they said they'd all submit to DNA testing, and that really said a lot, too...but then, Fong's pie hole finally stopped yapping about the case, and his office even released a statement saying something about how they would not be commenting any longer...this occured, IIRC, right after Fong's tune started changing,when he suddenly started talking about doing things "the old fashioned way" (as opposed to, "DNA will rule out the innocent), and asking how DNA exonerates you and how if all we ever had was DNA, yada yada yada...and then, the evidence came out that there was NO DNA match to any of the Duke Lacrosse team members...well, at that point, there was NO doubt, absolutely NONE, in my mind, anyway, that this was nothing but a false allegation from a lying, false accuser...

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had my suspcicions whne the story broke, but this is what sealed it for me:

The minute I saw David Evans on TV giving a statement.

A member of the Evans family? David Evans? A rapist?

Yeah, right. I knew for certain she was absolutely lying at that point.


2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When the DNA came back negative, I was sure. I was already suspicious of the allegations because the defense attorneys were so adamant that no sexual contact had taken place. They weren't leaving themselves any room to manuever and it struck me then that they felt they had innocent clients.

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When the N and O got involved
also when Nancy Grace
Wendy Murphy started talking
When they found her purse still in the house

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From day one, I said the team never touched those dirty women. The story did and does not hang together,

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew at 1:30 in the morning on a March night. I was awoken from a deep sleep to my husband calling my name. My son was on the phone from college. That night the coach had told my son and his teammates not to tell their parents about it. It was a ridiculous claim, as they all knew, and it would go away. My husband answered the phone to hear my son say he was in a lawyers office. He didn't think it was right that the team was asked not to confide in their parents, and he wasn't sure what to do. We would later learn that directive did not come from the coach, but through the coach from the Duke Administration.
My son told me there was no rape. That the strippers danced for a very abbreviated time. And that they were "gross".

Then he told what I already knew, not one boy on that team was capable of such a horrible crime and that didn't I know that if anyone of them had witnessed such a horrible thing, they would have stopped it.

Yes, I did know that.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Kemper said...

When my son who had 3 frat brothers at the party told me so.

10:08 PM  
Blogger NDLax84 said...

1) the 911 call-->JC Shelton's report-->"NO" sex-->meeting Phil Seligmann.

10:20 PM  
Anonymous GPrestonian said...

I wasn't following the story very closely when it all hit the fan, since I was in trial in Hamilton.

I began to smell a rat when I first heard of the cabbie/ATM/food receipt alibi. I was convinced it was a hoax when that evidence was shown on TV and became available on the web.

10:29 PM  
Blogger NDLax84 said...

himan: fa came in with johnson sniffing around for her missing stuff. i tried to get more info from her about her attackers. she couldn't offer anything more.

"that's a crock."

10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why I followed it, that is another story still being written.


9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The 911 call.

Plus, why would Duke guys rape someone in their own house?

And, the guys left "evidence" lying around the house for 31 hours?

The DA going on and on and No arrests? What was the holdup?

9:28 AM  
Anonymous emmy said...

Yes, Precious entering the police station more concerned with getting her stuff than IDing anyone seemed wrong...that was some skewed priorities on her part, or maybe it was just the effects of that (non) rape trauma syndrome that she was suffering...

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Mr. Evans and the two other team captains who shared the house were there. Police reports say they cooperated fully. Not only had there been no rape, they said, there had been no sex at all. They talked for hours without lawyers, gave DNA samples and offered to take polygraph tests. The officers declined the polygraph offers because, they said, DNA evidence would solve the case."

When the above statement was first released is when I started to smell something rotten.


4:16 AM  
Anonymous Locomotive Breath said...

For me it never passed the smell test from day one. I was at Duke for nine years. Not to put too fine a point on it but there's no way any of the guys would EVER be interested in the "local talent". And certainly not three at a time.

And it was really obvious when the team did not fight the order for mass DNA testing.

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another early indicator: the AV's brother was briefly interviewed by the media early on, as I recall, and said "it's too bad she was in the wrong place at the wrong time." That's not what you say if you think your sister has been brutally gang raped.
Plus the lax team members were clearly too smart to a) claim there was no sex at all or b) cooperate openly with police without attorneys if they had actually committed rape.

12:24 AM  
Blogger DanC said...

I first thought it was a hoax when the police reported that the players were not co-operating, which as it turned out was the farthest thing from the truth as you could get. And then what clinched that it was a hoax was when the police recovered 4 false finger nails from the waste basket in the bathroom. Come on please, did they really want people to believe that a vicious, brutal gang-rape occured with a woman clawing and fighting for her life and her fingernals came off and THEN the boys saved the evidence by casually tossing them in the waste basket that was sitting right next to a TOILET where they could have been flushed away forever.

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home